About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Up,up and away - Tilapia Fish Fry

I'm back everybody!

I was away on a short break because I was sort of overwhelmed with the umpteen things going on in my life!The happiest part being that I have finally been re-united with the Husband across seas and oceans and thanks to all those lovely people who patiently bore my fretting and sulking and cribbing all this time.My blog was one of the many places that I took refuge in when I felt rotten,and needless to say,there were so many of my blogger friends who cared to drop in with their thoughtful words.I'm still looking for words to thank you!
Although its been some time that I changed climes,I'm still not fully settled. To add to that, I had a series of not-too-serious ailments ready to kick me in the shin the moment I landed,much to my utter chagrin.Anyway,I've grappled with them already and have emerged unscathed.Three cheers for me,quick!!

Because of all this,I'll post a very short and sweet recipe of Tilapia Fish Fry that I managed to rustle up just a couple of days ago.Its simple,its easy and the crunch is sure to give you an absolute delight!Back home, the fish fry is traditionally prepared using the 'Bhetki' fish (dunno why it is weirdly spelled 'Bhekti' on every Bengali wedding dinner menu!) but I used the Tilapia just because it was ready at hand.It tasted good just as well and I'd really egg you on to give it a try!So long,happy cooking-will be back real soon with my next post!

This recipe goes to 'Hearth and Soul Blog Hop # 67' at Swathi's place, 'Tuesdays at the table' at Nicole's place,  Midweek Fiesta # 5' and the 'Fish Blog Hop' at Katherine's place!!


Tilapia Fish fry
You will need:
Tilapia fish fillets (2 fillets to make 8 fries) - I used the packaged Tilapia fillets readily available at grocery stores
Juice of 1 whole lemon
Onion paste - 2 tablespoons
Ginger paste - 1 tablespoon
Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Green chili paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Roasted cumin powder - 1 tablespoon
Roasted coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Salt
Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala powder - 1 teaspoon (available at any Asian/Indian store)
Red chili powder - 1/2 a teaspoon
1 large egg
Cornflour - 4 tablespoons
Bread crumbs
Canola or vegetable oil for deep-frying


How I made it:
1. Wash the fish fillets well and pat dry to drain off any water off the fillets. Cut out 4 square pieces from each fillet to have 8 pieces in all. In a bowl,squeeze out the juice of one whole lemon so that the juice is enough to cover all the fish fillets. Keep the fillets soaked in the lemon juice for about 2 hours.


2. Now remove the fillet pieces from the lemon juice and press each piece well with the palm of your hands to drain out any excess lemon juice. You will notice that the fish pieces have become a tad softer than what they were before.
3. Next, lay out the fish pieces on a plate and smear the onion, ginger, garlic and green chili paste generously on top of the pieces. Use your hands to rub the mixture well on the fish pieces.Next, smear salt, roasted cumin and coriander powders, Garam Masala powder and black pepper on the marinated fish pieces and rub once more to coat each piece well with the spices.Stack the fish pieces in the refrigerator and leave them to be marinated overnight or for about 4-5 hours.


4. When the fish pieces are marinated well, heat oil for deep frying in a deep-bottomed pan. Take a fish fillet piece and coat it in cornflour. Next dip it in beaten egg and roll over the bread crumbs. Repeat the same cornflour-egg-bread crumbs sequence for a second time on the same piece to have a second coating and keep in aside. Coat each of the pieces in a similar manner and keep for 5 mins before frying.
5. When the oil is hot enough, dip each of the breaded fish pieces into the hot oil and fry till each surface is golden brown. Serve hot with any Tomato dip or simply Ketchup and makes for a great tea time snack!Enjoy!

8 thoughtful musings left behind...:

notyet100 said...

Ummm looks yum,,,,

Swati Sapna said...

The fish fry looks absolutely crisp and well-done - just the way I like it :) and yes, i have often wondered why bhetki is written as bhekti in so many restaurants!! weird!
glad u hv settled down in the new land... hope u feel better soon and keep posting more recipes!!

Swathi said...

Delicious, love the crispy color of fried fish. Glad you join with husband. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

Sharmila said...

Cheers for you ... take care and keep the posts coming. :-)

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello notyet100,
Glad that you liked it:)Thanks so much for coming!

Dear Swati Sapna,
The 'just the way I like it' was a lovely compliment!Glad that you liked the dish so much:)I promise to be up and kicking real soon and my next post will follow soon!Thanks for dropping in.

Hi Swathi,
Thanks and glad that you liked it!

Hello Sharmila!
Lovely to see you at my place:)I am a regular reader of your posts and I hope you are doing well now health-wise.Plz do keep your posts coming in and really glad that you dropped by!

Melynda said...

We eat more Tilapia at our house as time goes by, thanks for sharing this great recipe, with the Hearth and Soul.

Sudha said...

That's so nice to know,Melynda!My family loves having Tilapia too and I make it a point to have it every week.Glad that you liked the dish:)

Modern Farming said...

Very nice and informative blog posting. Among all the fish, tilapia fish is Awesome! Tilapia fish farming is very profitable and easy. I like this fish very much for it's unique taste and nutritional value.

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!