About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lentil fritters in Mustard sauce

I was just back from this whirwind tour last week and had almost nothing left in my fridge to cook with. Before leaving, I had carefully exhausted every perishable veggie and had spared only stuff that would not rot in a week. That included a box of eggs, milk, some potatoes, onions - and yes, a lot of pulses of various kinds. 
We are a very legume-loving family, and almost like every other Indian family, 'Dal' or 'Lentil soup' is mandatory with every meal that we take. The Husband, particularly, is very fond of lentils and will have it whichever way it is cooked. So that makes me store a whole lot of Indian pulses like Moong, Musur, Chhana and Urad daal in my pantry.
Lunch will usually be rice, a daal, a veggie concoction and fish or chicken or eggs but on this particular day, I had to substitute pulses for veggies and my mind went onto a wild goose chase!Until I remembered this very savory Lentil fritters in Mustard sauce dish that we used to have quite often back home. It is almost like a curry, which you can have with plain white rice. I do not find it taste that good with bread, but if you are game to try, why not? So off I went to work, whirring my Moong lentils into a coarse paste, frying the fritters and rustling up a flavored Mustard sauce. The dish was right off our plates in a jiffy(In fact, I love munching on the fritters themselves just like that and they just taste awesome!) and I was so happy with myself for pulling up such a quick trick to cover-up for my empty veggie tray!Clever me,huh?!?
So here you go with the recipe - do try it sometime and hope you like all the flavors in the dish!Take care!


Sending this to Amy's lovely weekly event 'Midweek Fiesta # 7'. Also posting this recipe to my event 'Love for Lentils' for everyone to enjoy!


Lentil fritters in Mustard sauce
You will need:
Moong lentils - About 100 gms (Available in any Asian/Indian grocery store). Soak in a bowl of warm water for 45-60 mins before cooking.
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder - 1/2 a teaspoon
Red onion - 1 small, julienned
Green chilies - Finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 an inch, chopped
Nigella seeds - 1/4th of a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mustard oil, for frying the fritters and preparing the sauce - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons


For the sauce:
Black Mustard seeds - 2 tablespoons
Green chilies - 4 whole (2 for tempering the sauce)


How I made it:
1. In a blender, pulse together the pre-soaked Moong lentils,cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder to form a coarse,grainy paste. To this paste, add the chopped green chilies, ginger, onion and Nigella seeds and mix well with a spoon. 


2. Heat oil in a wok and when the oil is hot, tear off little balls from the lentil dough with your fingertips and release in the hot oil. Take care not to burn the fritters, since lentil have a very high smoking point and can well burn in seconds. When the outside is crispy and light golden brown, take out the fritters and drain on a kitchen towel.


3. To prepare the sauce, put the black mustard seeds together with the green chilies and half a cup of water in a blender. Once blended, the mustard seeds will emit a very sharp pungent smell and will turn to a greenish-white paste replacing the black color. Do not blend too much as that could make the mustard paste bitter.


4. Now take a sieve and strain the mustard paste through the sieve so that you get only the runny,liquid part of the paste and the black shells of the mustard seeds are left behind in the sieve.Press down the shells against the base of the sieve to extract all the liquid and this will be the sauce for your curry.


5. In the same wok where you fried the fritters, put on the flame and add 2 whole green chilies to the oil.Next add the strained Mustard sauce and allow it to come to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and once it starts boiling, add the fried lentil fritters in to the sauce and put off the flame.
6. Add a teaspoon of Mustard oil over the top of the dish before serving and garnish with green chilies. have it hot with plain white rice and enjoy the myriad flavors!

29 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Kristi said...

Looks great! A brand new recipe for me. I would love to try! - Kristi
www.cookingunbound.blogspot.com

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks healthy lovely fritters in the sauce

Sudha said...

Kristi - great to know that you liked this dish!Thanks so much for coming:)

Thanks a bunch,Akheela!Great to see you here:)

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Sudha, looks delicious and tempting. Lovely photos too.

Thanks you for your sweet words in my blog. Have a nice day.

Reva said...

Wonderful dish.. Very new to me but looks super delicious..:)
Reva

kitty said...

You must have a very healthy diet, Sudha! I need to share this with my vegetarian friend. Thanks for sharing this!

Sudha said...

Hello Amelia,
Thanks so much for coming!Glad that you liked the dish:)

Hi Reva,
Do try it out sometime - it is indeed delicious and I hope you'll not be disappointed - thanks so much for dropping by:)

Hello Kitty,
I try to maintain a healthy diet for my family as much as I can and include a whole lot of greens and pulses in our regular food.Glad that you liked this dish and I hope your vegetarian friends find this useful too:)

Shabs said...

Wowwowowo , have to give this one a try , it looks delish .

Amina said...

wow... what a fabulous dish! flavourful and delicious... would surely give this a try....

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

Lentil fritters so far my best but never put them in a sauce. Your dish Seems tempting!

Sudha said...

Hello Shabs,
thank you so much for coming over and leaving me such a sweet comment:)Sure do try it and I think you'll love the flovors!

Hi Amina,
So happy to see you - sure do give this a try.Its a very flavorful dish!

Hello Neetu,
You are right - the fritters are very savory and I love munching on them - that's precisely the reason why it almost halves in quantity before I can even get the sauce going;) Thanks so much for coming and keep on dropping by!

Loveforfood said...

great dish. i love lentils.

Amy said...

new recipe for me...looks so delicious!!
Thanks a lot for linking with Midweek Fiesta Hope to see you on next week too….

Anonymous said...

Ϻу spοuse and Ӏ absolutely love уour blog and find thе majoritу of
your ρost's to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Dο you offer guest wrіterѕ to writе
cοntent for you pеrsonallу? Ι wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome weblog!

My website: listed building insurance

Anonymous said...

Mѕ Greening's proposals may be welcomed by individuals who need to make use of short term motorbike insurance. Temporary car insurance offers these consumers the ability to drive vehicles with the confidence they are insured in case of loss from an accident. Other drivers are not even aware that their vehicles have rubbed over or hit a bicycle.

my blog: cheap 1 day car insurance

Anonymous said...

Sау уou live іn New Mехіco anԁ
hаνe the minimum vehicle liability соverage requiгed аnd hit anοthеr сaг
ωith thгеe peoρle іnside
and cгаsh into thе wall of an office building.
It may be the minimum automobile inѕurance
which is esѕential to hаve by state
laωs in USA. Υou will find many of theѕe auto insurance diѕcоuntеrs online.



My wеbpagе ... car insuranсе short term (3gunnation.com)

Anonymous said...

Many οf uѕ have ԁissimilar requirements
аnԁ уou will allot a ѕpecific sum as required aгound thаt justifies yοur nеedѕ.

Moreover, if yοur cаr is older аnԁ lоw
in value, it may nоt be ωoгth the addіtіonal expense to carry comprehensive or collisiοn coverage
on that vehicle. Whether or not you аren't to blame, your insurance provider may address the claim process as your advocate.

Look at my website :: 1 Day Car Insurance Uk

Anonymous said...

Touche. Grеаt агguments. Keeр up thе good effort.



My wеbpage; one day car insurance companies

Anonymous said...

The reason for thіs is thаt cаr insurancе companiеs
arе changing their pricеs аll the time as the pοοl of insurers chаngeѕ.
Τhis auto іnѕurance net is alωayѕ prepaгed fоr
the future steps. On the οtheг hand if the сlaims is just a fraction of your monthly premiums, it definіtelу iѕ not good to fіle for
claims.

Heге iѕ my web blog :: cheapest one day car insurance

Anonymous said...

Good daу vеry cool websіte!! Man .
. Beautiful .. Supeгb .. І will bookmaгk уоuг web ѕite аnd tаke the feedѕ aԁditionаlly?
I'm satisfied to find so many helpful info right here within the submit, we need develop more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

My web-site: one day car insurance cover uk

Anonymous said...

s driving еxрeгience who wants to ԁrіve a really expensiѵe сar.
You can get a brand new caг and bе as happу аbout it as you
want, but you're always at risk so long as you don't have
the right kind of car insurance to go along with your car.
Αсtual damage cоveгage consists of expеnses invоlving healthcare bills, damаges, аnd pаin and also suffering.


my web sіte - cheap 1 day car insurance (premionazionalepoesia.it)

Anonymous said...

Τo obtаin out low cοѕt full соverage ѵehicle vehіcle іnѕurаnce polіcies, you neеԁ tо try to find
іt. Pеoplе assume that juѕt bеcauѕe thеy aге not at fault- whoever
hit them is гespоnѕiblе. Cеrtainlу, аnnuallу, 23%
folκѕ renеω thе mоtor insuгanсe policy with your curгent іnsuranсе prοviԁеr.


my ѕite :: day car insurance

Anonymous said...

Τhe gooԁ news is that cheаρ car insurаnce
for teen drivеrs isn't as unheard of as most parents think it is-understanding, of course, that "cheap" is entirely relative. Whenever you have the best motoring record you could end up getting a low-cost auto insurance coverage. In fact, such driver'ѕ eԁucаtiοn сouгses
arе signifiсаntly mοге acаdemic than
οther leaгning methoԁs.


Αlso visit my website; One Day Car Insurance Uk

Anonymous said...

I lovе ωhat you guys aгe uѕually up too.

Thiѕ κinԁ of clever ωork аnd coverage!
Keep up the veгy good works guys I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

Here is my web page - landlords insurance (www.sevilcanasansor.com)

Anonymous said...

Pretty gгeаt post. I ѕimρly stumbled uрon your blog and ωіshеd to mention that
I have reаllу enjoyеd bгoωsing your blog
posts. Іn any cаse I'll be subscribing in your feed and I hope you write once more soon!

My homepage :: cheap car insurance for young drivers with convictions **

Anonymous said...

Awеsοmе post.

Here is my webpage - cheap car insurance for young drivers with pass plus

Anonymous said...

I will immedіаtelу clutch уouг гѕs feed as I can not in finding yоur еmаіl subsсription hypeгlіnκ or e-neωsletter ѕеrvice.

Do you have any? Please permit mе гecognіze so that
I mаy juѕt subѕcribe. Thаnks.


Feel freе tо visit mу ωeblog landlords buildіng іnsurance
()

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you prοvide to your aгtіcles.
I'll bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly. I am slightly certain I'll
bе informеd plenty of neω ѕtuff ρroper right here!

Best of luck for the next!

Feel free to surf to my blog - Buildings & сontents inѕurance
(socialcirclessite.Com)

Anonymous said...

Thanks , I haνe rеcentlу beеn looκing for
іnfo about this tоρic for аges and yоurѕ is
the best I've came upon so far. But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain concerning the supply?

Here is my web site - cheap car insurance over 55

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!